Skip to main content

English Learners within the Special Education Program



The information to be considered regarding special education in regards to English learners is massive.  Indeed, special education is a complex, multi-faceted topic for any learner.  It is not an easy task to talk about it in a short blog post.
So, I am going to focus my discussion on the possible overrepresentation of English learners in disability programs.  Our text points out that in the 1970s the United States faced many lawsuits stemming from the lack of safeguards and invalid testing of English language learners that unfairly placed them in special education programs.  Fortunately, these lawsuits caused our country to remedy many problem areas in evaluating English learners.  The disproportionately high numbers of English learners faded. 
            Unfortunately (and I learned a bit about this in my wonderful Educating Special Learners class) the problem still exists to some extent.  For one thing, legislation has expanded disability categories and, as a result, more bilingual students have been labeled as needing remedial education.  These students have not suddenly lost skills or become less capable.  They have merely become the victim of “big brother” arbitrarily changing the criteria.  Further, the criteria that has changed is, as our book points out, a cultural construct.  What one cultural group considers a disability, another might not. 
            I certainly want any and all students who can benefit from special education services to receive those services.  I am, however, wary that a student who is not “typical”, for whatever reason, might unjustly be put into the special education system.  I hope that when I am a teacher, I will find that my fears are unfounded.  I hope that my school administrators always use the best, most meticulous assessment methods to determine who will benefit from special education.  I want the best for all students, including English learners, children with special needs, and English learners who have special needs. 

Chapter 12 Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Learners and Special Education

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning about the Language Learner and Learning about the Language Learner Labels

Take a second to re-read the title of this post and then try to say it three times very, very fast.  I'm guessing that it didn't exactly trip lightly from your tongue.  Now, imagine a sweet six-year-old child who is being raised in a family  environment that speaks only Spanish.  Can you guess how that kid feels that first day he or she enters an English-speaking public classroom?  That student is probably about as comfortable as you felt trying to say that title three times fast.  As our first chapter reading pointed out, teaching English learners is a complex, oft-misunderstood undertaking.  Every learner has a unique set of background, social-emotional, and cognitive factors that play into how that child acquires a second language.  Good teachers routinely use differentiation to tailor instruction to individual student's needs.  Similarly, good teachers must recognize and implement practices that support English language development by recognizing each English learner

Button Duty

Way back in the late 1990s, I worked in the Beverly Hills area of Los Angeles, California for a business that provided in-flight entertainment to Pakistan International Airlines.   The business was small, and I was responsible for, well, running everything.   My boss, Mr. H, was from Pakistan but had many years of residency in the United States.   He had worked for several movie studios and was very comfortable with Western business culture. A high-level representative for Pakistan International Airlines (who I shall call Mr. D) came to visit our office.   My boss introduced me to Mr. D, and I offered my hand for a handshake.   Mr. D hesitated very briefly and then shook my hand.   As he did so, he noticed that a button was loose on the cuff of his shirt.   Mr. D asked me to sew it on his shirt for him. My boss very quickly intervened and seemed worried that I would take offense.   I did not, though I do admit to feeling very bemused by the whole situation.   The fact was that

Mapping Planet Earth

In the Mapping Planet Earth video we learn about Ms. Appel, a “traveling” French teacher to elementary grade classrooms here in the United States. What especially stood out to me is that she uses a lot of the same strategies an English speaking classroom teacher would use….only she does it in French. I have commented before that good teaching is good teaching no matter the student or situation, so I found this to be particularly interesting.   Ms. Appel spoke only in French, but she used lots of visuals.   She gave her students many opportunities to engage and participate actively.   She allowed students to work with peers and to take on the role of teacher themselves. One strategy that she used that was new to me (and I will surely use this when I become a teacher) was when she had the students demonstrate word meaning by using gestures.   Young students love to get up and move, and this technique of having them basically act out word meaning is brilliant!   I can envision usin